Ah, the ’90s. A time when Halloween wasn’t just about costumes and candy; it was about ringing your friend’s landline, planning a spooky group ensemble, and the sheer joy of VHS movie marathons. If you were a ’90s kid in the UK, there’s a good chance Halloween meant much more to you than just a simple night of trick-or-treating.
Let’s embark on a nostalgic journey back to those simpler times. 🍬🎃
1. The Reign of ‘The Simpsons’ and ‘Sabrina, The Teenage Witch’: It wasn’t genuinely Halloween in the ’90s unless you were huddled on your sofa watching the annual “Treehouse of Horror” special on The Simpsons or Sabrina navigating the trials of both high school and witchcraft.
2. The Ultimate Trick-or-Treat Bucket: The joy of getting a Wham Bar, Drumstick Lollies, or Cadbury’s Creepy Choc in your trick-or-treat bag! And who could forget the sour fizz of Sherbet Straws? Then there was the legendary Pop Rocks. Feeling those candies crackle and pop in your mouth was pure magic.
3. The Drinks that Fueled Our Fun: As much as we loved our sweets, the ’90s also offered some iconic beverages. Remember sipping on SunnyD or the rare treat of an Ice Cream Float? Halloween parties often had these drinks in funky cups with twisty straws.
4. The Age of Goosebumps: Before setting out to gather sweets, you might have been engrossed in the latest Goosebumps book, scaring yourself with tales of ventriloquist dummies and haunted masks.
5. Those Iconic Halloween Costumes: Who among us didn’t dress up as a Power Ranger, a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, or the witches from Hocus Pocus? Pair that with some clunky platform shoes, and you were Halloween-ready!
6. Dunkaroos and Beyond: While sweets ruled our Halloween stash, there was also the joy of snacks like Dunkaroos. Dunking those biscuits into that creamy icing felt like you’d unlocked a hidden level in a video game. Speaking of which, who managed to sneak in some pre-trick-or-treating gaming on their Game Boy?
7. The Rise of Fruity Drinks: Remember the joy of sipping on Fruit Shoots or the thrill of getting a Capri-Sun in your lunchbox? It felt especially festive to wash down all those sweets with one of these fruity favourites.
8. The Influx of American Candy: The ’90s also marked an era when American candies like Reese’s Pieces and Nerds started making appearances in our Halloween hauls.
9. Halloween School Discos: The era of Britpop meant dancing to the tunes of Spice Girls and Take That in your Dracula cape or witch hat, possibly sipping on Panda Pops.
10. The Vegan Halloween Revolution: Yes, even in the ’90s, there were some pioneers looking for vegan treats. The selection was limited then, but today, shops like Duncan’s offer an exclusive range of Vegan Halloween Sweets, ensuring everyone gets to relive their childhood memories.
To all our ’90s souls out there, isn’t it time you treat yourself to some good old nostalgia? At Duncan’s, we’re dedicated to rekindling those sweet memories. Dive into our treasure trove of Halloween sweets, reminiscent of the ’90s era, and let’s celebrate the decade that shaped many of our fondest moments.
Reliving the ’90s is all about recalling the fusion of flavours, vibrant pop culture, and those unmistakable sounds (remember the dial-up tone?). Here’s to the decade of slap bracelets, gel pens, and, of course, the sweetest Halloween memories. 🍭👻